Friday, February 26, 2010

What adhesive/glue should I use to mount/stick a Canvas print to MDF?

Hi, I need to mount a large canvas print to MDF and need to come up with a solution which will last as it is for a proffessional photographer, does anyone have any tried and tested methods which they found to be reliable and stand the test of time?


ThanksWhat adhesive/glue should I use to mount/stick a Canvas print to MDF?
';Spray Mount';. It was made for that purpose and shouldn't soak into or discolour the canvas.





It is effectively a weak solvent based adhesive.





Failing that, I'd use strips of double sided tape as close as possible to eachother so as to completely cover the surface.





Hope that helps.What adhesive/glue should I use to mount/stick a Canvas print to MDF?
None.


If its a canvas have it stretched onto a wooden frame then mount and frame the stretched canvas !
It depends if you want it to be permanent or not? If you want it to be permanent I would use an archival PVA (like Jade). If you want to be able to remove it, I would make some wheat paste, (which can be removed with warm water), but depending on the thickness of your canvas, this may be insufficient.
There are adhesives made especially for mounting photos. It should be available at any real camera store or perhaps a really good hobby shop.





I'd think twice before mounting to any non-archival surface. The adhesive might protect the print but I'd hate to risk it.





Check at archivalmethods.com and ilfordphoto.com for information on archival mounting techniques and materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment